A distillery has stood on the site of Glengoyne since 1833 when local landowners the Edmonstone family were granted a licence to distil. The distillery, then known as Burnfoot, passed to the MacLelland family in the 1850s and from there to Glasgow blender Lang Bros in 1878. The name was changed to Glen Guin, meaning 'glen of the wild geese', and anglicised to Glengoyne in 1905.
When Lang Bros became part of Robertson & Baxter (later Edrington) in the mid 1960s, the distillery was rebuilt with an additional still. The single malts released in the early 1990s were marketed as 'the unpeated malt', referring to Glengoyne's tradition of drying its malted barley using only warm air.
The distillery was purchased by Ian Macleod in 2003.