Ardmore was founded in 1898 by William Teacher's son Adam Teacher. He decided that the family needed its own malt whisky distillery and it has been an important component in the Teacher's blend since the beginning.
The distillery expanded in the 1950s and again in the 1970s to a total of eight stills and maintained its own Saladin maltings until 1976 when it became part of Allied Distillers.
In 2001, Ardmore switched from coal-fired to steam-heated stills, one of the last distilleries to do so. Ardmore was purchased, along with Teacher's and Laphroaig, by Beam in 2006. Today the distillery is owned by Beam Suntory and has remained a prized blending malt, with few official bottlings released.