Tobermory is the only distillery on the Isle of Mull in the Inner Hebrides, producing peated malt under the name Ledaig and unpeated malt as Tobermory. It was built as Ledaig in 1798 by John Sinclair, but by 1837 the site had stopped producing whisky. After a period of ownership by John Hopkins Ltd., the distillery became part of Distillers Company Limited in 1916 and resumed production, but in 1930 the Tobermory again fell silent for more than 40 years. When it reopened in 1972, the owners were a Liverpool shipping company, sherry producer Domecq, and a group mysteriously referred to as 'Panamanian interests'. This collective refurbished the distillery and increased capacity before the site closed again in 1975. After more changes of ownership and another period of closure, Burn Stewart (later part of Distell) purchased the distillery in 1993. In 2017, a major refurbishment project began, forcing the distillery to close for another two years.