West Brewery was built on the outskirts of Elgin in 1828 and was converted into Glen Moray distillery in 1897. Like many of its neighbours, the distillery suffered in the slump at the start of the 20th century and closed in 1910. In 1923 Glen Moray was purchased by Glenmorangie owner Macdonald & Muir. In 1958 the capacity doubled to four stills and a Saladin box was installed, though just 20 years later Glen Moray’s maltings were decommissioned. In the late 1990s, Glen Moray introduced its first wine cask finished expressions, Chardonnay and Chenin Blanc.
After a short period under the ownership of LVMH (from 2004), the distillery was sold to French distilling firm La Martiniquaise in 2008.