Convalmore distillery was built in 1894 just outside Dufftown. The distillery was bought by broker and blender W P Lowrie in 1904 and later passed to Buchanan's. Convalmore was damaged by fire in 1909 and reopened in 1910 with an experimental continuous still designed to produce malt whisky, though this was scrapped after five years. In 1925 Convalmore joined the DCL portfolio and in 1964 capacity doubled to four stills. The distillery closed in 1985 and the site was sold to William Grant & Sons.