Bruichladdich's unpeated character sets it apart from its Islay neighbours. It was built by brothers William, Richard and John Harvey in 1881 and, like its late Victorian counterparts, mainly produced malt to supply blends. The distillery passed through several owners during the 20th century and joined Whyte & Mackay's portfolio in 1993. It was closed for a short period until it was purchased by Murray McDavid and reopened in 2001.
The new owner revitalised the distillery, re-racked some of the spirit into fresh casks (including ex-wine and fortified wine barrels) and invested in the bottling line. The distillery became known for its innovation, producing peated expressions such as Port Charlotte and Octomore, reviving the archaic Bere barley variety and using a recomissioned Lomond still to produce Botanist gin with botanicals grown on Islay.
Today the distillery is owned by Rémy Cointreau.