Brora distillery was built in 1819 by the Marquis of Stafford, it was originally known as Clynelish. A 'new' Clynelish distillery was built on a neighbouring plot in 1968 and the original site was closed. The 'old' Clynelish distillery was reopened in 1969 and its name was changed to Brora. In 1975 a law was passed banning two distilleries from having the same name
Brora distillery produced a heavily peated malt through the 1970s until peating levels were reduced in the early 1980s. Brora was mothballed in 1983.
In 2017 Diageo announced that Brora distillery is to be rebuilt in its original buildings and would reopen in 2020.